Monday, December 26, 2016

Fixer Upper: Not What I Do Best

People love to do what they do best.

I love to talk, read, write, shop, play hostess, cheer, pat puppies, cuddle children, see new sights, cook, bake, and kiss my husband. There are other things I enjoy, but nowhere on this list is a verb associated with electricity...except kiss...on a good day. Not today.

Today has been about electricity and wires and needle-nose pliers, electrical tape, duct tape, screwdrivers, and trips to the low-roofed attic where Marvin is folded up running wire and rewiring, relocating screwed up wiring...all for the remodel.
               Running wire during a thunderstorm.
               Running wire under a flash flood warning.
               Running wire and trying to communicate with me using a foreign language; words made unintelligible in a deafening rain are muffled from attic to utility room. I don't speak electricity...except "It's on!"


Some of the wire he was trying to relocate ran from the carport to the attic but the brick's mortar had cemented the wire. It was encased in cement until he chiseled the obstruction loose and that's where I came in to save the day.

I made a hook on one end of the new wire. I used a wire cutter (needle-nose pliers) to snip off the other wires. I also used pliers to squish the wires together enough to go through the hole.Then I used black electrical tape to seal the deal (pictured at left). I looked for his flashlight signal and when I saw it, I shoved the wires up in the hole and he caught the hook and VOILA! the new wire could be pulled into the attic.  Ta-Da! (pictured at right)

Now, please, I'd like to cook supper and tell this tale while it's fresh on my mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Feedback is appreciated: