Saturday, July 9, 2016

I Changed My Mind

I was going to write about Dallas.
About how Dallas downtown, around Reunion Ave. was ripped to shreds due to highway construction. As we traveled from Waco into Dallas Metro via 35 E (N), we gazed upon torn up roadways everywhere. Lines of cars five lanes wide were at a standstill on the other side of the barricade.
I changed my mind.
I thought I'd mention how the whole downtown area seemed to be under construction, suggesting the highway project might keep the city disrupted for quite a while. I remembered Reunion Arena.
Still, I decided against it.
Sam Rayburn Expressway and PGBT (President George Bush Tollway) both require a toll. Avoiding paying a toll played into our decision to continue north into Denton. We avoided going into the city altogether. We spent a little time in the North Dallas area.
North Dallas made me think...North Dallas Forty...Burt Reynolds? I forget. It matters little.
I mused about J.R. and Dallas...
The Cotton Bowl, which no longer exists.
Dallas Cowboys.
SMU
So many historic events are focused around Dallas that I need not write about any of them. Stephen King wrote a volume entitled 11-22-63. I thought about the friends who live there, who have lived there.
We turned east toward home.

Then, I learned about the gunfire.


With supreme sadness, I have joined many others in reaching the conclusion that the brutal, violent, unjustified by any stretch of the imagination event could have taken place in any of our cities.
Instead of writing about Dallas, I'll pray for the citizens of Dallas, for all police officers, and for our nation.
God Help Us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Feedback is appreciated: