Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Well, Shut My Mouth

"Too many of today's kids, from relatively early on, pick up a very inappropriate manner of talking to adults from characters on television sit-coms."
      This quote from John Rosemond, columnist in the Ark Dem-Gaz.
      The headline "Sassiness" caught my eye.

I was born with the congenital disease called "Last Word-itis."  I passed it on to my older son, but have retained a portion for myself.

Sassy. I had a dog I named Sassy. I was sassy myself, one time to my father.  He slapped  me.  Once.
I was sassy to my mother.That's why I didn't go out much as a teen. I was being held virtual prisoner in my room, which held no entertainment potential.

The cleanest mouth in 6 states was mine. Good ole Ivory soap washed my mouth out on numerous occasions.Defiance was addressed with a switch to the lower extremities.The parental units took care of me quite well because they knew the potential.

As a school-age child and teenager, I was quiet and respectful, obedient and compliant.
I was saving up.

I still have spunk and a tongue that can carve my name into your hide, with a smile. I inherited it from my mother, but I use that weapon sparingly.

I am sure of this: 
Sassiness is unbecoming on a child, a teenager.  It can be cultivated into a fine backbone and a personal stance for self.  But, left to its own devices, the toxic mouth syndrome is perpetuated in sit-coms and those bad examples do not help the growth of a young person at all.


2 comments:

  1. This year was especially challenging as a teacher due to one, yes, just one sassy student. I was "blessed" to have this 'lil darling three times a day. I cannot possibly say what thoughts went through my mind during these encounters. I will say, however, that my daughters can tell you all about the skinny switches from the crabapple tree in our front yard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed a friend of my granddaughter was sassy with my daughter and son-in-law a couple of times when we were with them recently. They let it roll off and reminded me when I mentioned it that they call her Daddy Rocket Charlie. I think outrageous behavior isn't uncommon in their household. On the whole, the girl was pretty sweet, but the couple of times she was smart mouthed made me wish they'd said something. I guess it was easier to consider her example at home. However as my daughter says, "It's not very attractive." I was shy as a child and there were times I didn't speak up, which isn't always good. After teaching a few years, that changed and now I have stop my self from speaking up. I like John Rosemond's old school approach to child rearing.

    ReplyDelete

Your Feedback is appreciated: