Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Move Over, Mia Hamm

           Move over Mia Hamm. A new female athlete, capable of completing 3 exercises simultaneously, has emerged on the scene. While soccer is not one of the three athletic endeavors, Mia still must move over. I can wear a sports bra with the best of female athletes.

           This morning I completed 3.18 miles while 1) listening to playlist on IPod, 2) imagining dance moves, and 3) not tripping over my own feet.  This 3.18 mile walk was at a speedy 18:14 min./mile pace: up and down hills, through valleys, around curves, over potholes. A car stopped and I chatted with a passer-by. Small town marathon training protocol requires chatting, visiting, and waving.

I'm in training for the 2nd Annual Labor Day 5K. My husband participated last year. He didn't train but had a strategy. Heat derailed his strategy but he won a Ribbon, placing third in his age group. The ribbon is still visible in our living room, a not-so-subtle reminder of my goal.

My personal trainer will be visiting me the first week of August, so marathon walkers need to watch out.


2 comments:

  1. You go, girl!!! I never entered anything like a running marathon, but the years that teachers had to be weighed in during the pre-school meetings, I did plenty of walking beforehand. Even when the summer temps soared. Plus, the year a son married in September, I bought a new wedding suit and had to walk and walk to be sure I could sob or laugh without the waist button popping. Now, I'm content to hear about you Mia Hamm's and smile. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! I wish I could say I'm doing the same, but I can't. You're an inspiration, so maybe I can soon tell you I've gotten back on a walking schedule.

    ReplyDelete

Your Feedback is appreciated: