Sunday, July 6, 2014

Art in the Afternoon

Draw me a picture, Nana. 
Uh-oh. Here we go. 
Down the rabbit hole of art.
Delving unabashedly into the family’s treasure trove of superior artistic skill.
Remembering days when my own pictures were displayed for all to see.
Like on the bulletin board in Mrs. Wheeler’s Third Grade Class.
That’s the first, last, and only time my art has been displayed.
Public School Art caused me to change my college major.
I’d glance around and see magnificence to the right, left, and behind me.
Their potato prints and sponge-scapes brought appreciative nods from Professor.
He’d stop at each work station and comment with flair about the art being created.
When he reached my “studio”, he looked, sighed, and moved on.
“Hmmmm,”he said.
So, when Aubrey asked me to draw a picture, I agreed and took the crayon she offered.
I drew a bunny.

We’d seen one munching clover beside the daylilies that afternoon.
Body, fluffy tail, and two big ears. Voila! Masterpiece.
“That’s not a bunny, Nana.”
“It’s not?  Well, what is it?”

“That’s an airplane!”

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could draw, but I cannot. I sometimes try but am reminded. My bunny would probably look like an airplane, too! Sweet story.

    ReplyDelete

Your Feedback is appreciated: