Thursday, September 25, 2014

What Could Cut That Kind of Pain

      Today, as I played gopher (Go-Fer the hammer) during our Paint the Fence escapade, I thought of two books:  Tom Sawyer and Gone With the Wind.  What could these two classics have in common, you ponder.
   
       Marvin was having a great deal of fun with the new paint-spray rig.  I was holding the clean-up rags: not fun. While I could have taken a turn at the super-duty paint gun with some cute maneuvers, I determined my skill level was at its max with my current job (holding the clean-up rags).

Tom Sawyer’s crafty ability to get his fence painted (whitewashed) with no sweat on his brow and extra change in his pocket has captured millions of imaginations through the years.
       
     Capturing my imagination today was Prissy’s return trip from her quest for Dr. Meade. Melly was having her baby and Scarlett sent Prissy down to the hospital to “fetch Dr. Meade.” After being rebuffed by Dr. Meade with a dose of reality, Prissy saunters up the sidewalk, clicking a stick along the short neighborhood fence. 
    She swishes her dress as she sings in a high, falsetto voice, “Papa totes a heavy load.” Prissy is not in a hurry. She is taking her own sweet time to deliver the message that Dr. Meade would not be coming to deliver any baby, not coming to save the day.
         As I was walking down the back deck steps with a huge glass of lemonade and the hose nozzle for the spray rig. I sauntered along the fence; I slowed my pace and was transported with a smile to the GWTW scene and I began to hum.  

           Slowly I walked and mentally twirled, thinking how I might covey the news that I was all the help there would be to get the job done. The message I had to deliver was that Mike Holmes (Holmes Makes It Right and Holmes on Homes) was not coming to help paint.
          Only Prissy would be available and “she don’t know nuthin’ about paintin’ no fences.”

        Frankly, My Dear, I don’t know anything that will cut that kind of pain.



75th Anniversary - Gone With the Wind. Gather your friends and Watch it once again - 
Watch it for Rhett. Watch it for Prissy.

1 comment:

  1. Cute post. I know someone who is as good as Tom Sawyer at getting other people to do his work! And I can still hear Prissy declared she don't know nuthin about birthing no babies! Brings a smile to my face. Your division of labor sounds like Terry's and mine.

    ReplyDelete

Your Feedback is appreciated: