Monday, October 22, 2012

Letter to Mother....an exerpt

           "I recall the pastel hem stitch and crochet patterned trimmings on the small flannelette blankets you gifted babies.  The search for just the right softness and weight of the fabric will begin again, for I need 3 pieces of flannelette to continue this family tradition.  I have begun to finish the pink rosebud blanket that you began and then left in a wad of dismay. I note the stitches in disarray, as you tried to make your hands do what your mind suggested. I see the times you simply forgot what to do next. I treasure the mess, which is why I did not pull it all out. Now, I am trying to mimic the stitches you were using to create the designs I remember.  I have begun several experiments in stitchery with that blanket and another grand scheme with a “granny square.” Both trials are ragged, but I am learning, as always, from you."
                            
                        ...An exerpt from a piece I am submitting to The Foundation of Arts, Jonesboro, AR. The call for writers is focused as "Letter to Mother/Mom." 
                             You can read the entire submission in the side Pages section of this BLOG, called Journeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Feedback is appreciated: