Friday, September 14, 2012

Your Honor, May I Approach the Bench?

"How do you plead?" asked the judge, who was not the same as the cop who gave me the ticket.
"Very unintentionally guilty, Sir," I replied.
"It's always that way," he remarked.
"I'd like to request that the ticket not go on my record."
"Already done, Ma'm"
"And might I have the amount reduced?..."since I'm on a fixed income...retired," I wondered.
"No.  I don't do it for anyone. And you don't look like you are doing too badly, retired on that fixed income."
Best to leave well enough alone.
"Thank you, Sir."
"Pay when they call your name.  Until then, have a seat."
And such was my adventure at the Lepanto City Hall, along with 50 other culprits whose crimes ranged from disobeying the burn ban, driving without brake lights, speeding, and disorderly conduct, 2nd degree battery, shoplifting.  A whole group of locals were admonished not to be within 100 feet of the other.  Trial set for October 30.  Tell your story to the Judge then, not today.
I did not realize how relieved I'd be to have that ticket out of the way...even at the tune of a gazillion bucks. 
"Christmas won't be Christmas without presents," mumbled Jane as she counted out her cash to the clerk in Lepanto, AR.

BTW, I am taking Romeo (my moisture stricken laptop computer) to the Funeral Home in Piggott.  Not for a casket, I hope, but there is a guy who comes highly recommended by my friend Lucy at the Rector Post Office.  She says he can fix my computer.  I called him and he said he'd take a look at Romeo and order the keyboard and fix him right up.  I got so tickled telling Pam that I was taking my computer to a repairman who works out of the Piggott Funeral Home.  How small town is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Feedback is appreciated: