Friday, September 7, 2012

I've Got the Music in Me

            Nancy Chaney lived across the hall from me one summer at Henderson State in the wild and wonderful 1966-1970 era. Nancy is the friend who had the portable TV powered by an extension cord from her room. We pointed the rabbit ears toward New York City or Little Rock for better reception!  Our end of the hall would be packed with girls as we gathered to watch Tom Jones rotate his hips in tight pants and sing “My, my, my Delilah!” 
          Nancy grew up in the vicinity of Delight, AR. She said her family knew Glen Campbell. Nancy also told us that Glen Campbell did not win the County Fair or High School Talent Show when he was a young teen. Glen did not finish high school, dropping out in 10th grade, since there were no courses in writing, singing, or playing music.  He could bear down on a mean guitar and his mellow voice could croon the tunes, though.
         Tonight, we are going to the Glen Campbell Farewell Tour at the ASU Convocation Center in Jonesboro.  I went to the Cher Farewell Tour in Memphis at the Pyramid and many patrons were costumed in her honor, but as I have never owned any cowgirl (or boy) boots, I’ll have to pass for tonight’s show.  Rhinestone earrings would be about as far as I could go.  I’d love to wear a flimsy short dress with leggings, and cowboy boots with a long strand of rhinestones around my neck but I’m too old by 30 years. (Hmmm, we could take a vote on that!)
         Glen, you know, has Alzheimer’s.  His children are accompanying him on this tour, playing banjo, guitar, and drums and say that they’ll keep going as long as their dad gets pleasure from the experience.  Sometimes he forgets what song has been played, but his daughter gently leads him onto the next.  I think it’s that love as much as anything that I wish to honor by attending the concert.  He’s from Arkansas and his talent is superior with the guitar.  His studio time is well documented with plenty of famous singers, including an on-stage stint with The Beach Boys. His songs such as Gentle on My Mind, Wichita Lineman, Rhinestone Cowboy, etc. crossed the line from country to pop. We’ve heard that he nails each of his songs, that he knocks each one out of the park!  I hope the Convo is filled to give a salute to a wonderful musician from Arkansas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Feedback is appreciated: