Monday, May 25, 2020

Photo Stick - The Scoop (my experience) - UPDATE

I'm a picture taker. My kids will attest. They fussed at one time, but now I just tell them, "There will be pictures." When the photos are arranged and organized, everybody says, "Let's see."

For Christmas, Rich gave me a wonderful photo capture device, just what I wanted. But when I started to work with the device (had two USB connections) it would not work on my computer and turned out to be a photo Saver, able to collect photos from my computer and phone. Nice - but it was a major flash drive or thumb drive. It did not contain the organizing software.

Packaging
Photo Stick
I researched and waited and then bit the bullet and purchased the Photo Stick with organization software.
The large memory photo stick afforded me well, because by the time the software had captured EVERY PHOTO, downloaded jpeg, photo of a document, photo from forever ago, it had stored over 55,000 photos. WHAT!!
Just press GO! and the device seeks, finds, and stores everything.
Photos appear like this.

Folders I created
 Here's the thing, though. It's up to me how the photos are organized. I name the folders and select the pictures that should be placed into the folder. Otherwise, the items remain arranged from newest to oldest or oldest to newest.
Imagine organizing 55,000 photos.

Yes, duplicates are removed.
But, there are many that look the same, but I took so many photos to get a good one. all are saved. I'd advise purging BEFORE allowing the device to work and certainly BEFORE organizing. I didn't because I did not want to look at 55,000 photos twice.

Another thing I did not realize is this: EVERYTHING is captured - that would include documents as photos. Also, the photos are loaded in in somewhat of a random order - phone, computer, documents as photos, downloads, scans, etc. That is part of the reason for 55,000 items.

I should have deleted thumbnails before I started creating folders and placing the pictures - I learned that.

I am now at a small number of photos yet to file - still over 400. Been focused on getting this project completed and during the Covid-19 Crisis/Pandemic - I have had the time.

I will have a place where all my photos are located and they will be grouped/organized.
I still have multiple flash drives and two external hard drives, one from work days in Bartlett.

Photos are important to me and I'll tell you this - I've worked to save them and keep them organized.

****GOOD NEWS - none of my photos are deleted from phone or computer.
****BAD NEWS - Bumped the extended Photo Stick going out to my office this morning. USB is catty-wompas and when straightened, it now will not "read." All that work. No one to scream at. Just frustration and lesson learned. Beware. Amount of work = one ooops = ???????????


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Feedback is appreciated: