Tuesday, June 9, 2020

The Thrill is Gone - It Happens

At a birthday party at my house when in high school. a group of friends and I swooned over the songs and the album cover "A Song for Young Love" The Lettermen. Through college, I listened to this group along with The Association and others as they poured their hearts out with "Come Back Silly Girl, Come Back to Me," and "The Way You Look Tonight." Ooooo.

It happens to me all the time. I'm a hopeless romantic. A nostalgia junkie. Expectation is destroyed by reality.
My first album for The Lettermen
I age, but my memories don't.
I change my hair style, but everyone else remains as they were in the 1960's.
Funny.

In 1964, I latched onto the singing group The Lettermen. I swooned over Jim Pike, tall, dark, handsome and a fabulous ballad singer. The Lettermen albums contained all kinds of love songs and these three handsome dudes wore Letterman sweaters, Of course.

Lucky me - my family had connections to the big time in New Orleans. Their high school friend had made it big with Louisiana Land and Exploration. While there on vacation, staying with the Phillips, we had a stage side table at the Blue Room at the Roosevelt Hotel.Headlining - The Lettermen. I was done for - too shy to do much other than sway, swoon, and sigh...deeply.

I collected their albums and listened to their love songs through early 1970's.

Last night - yes, 2020, last night, I looked on YouTube (TV) for this singing group and found live concerts. I was thrilled. It was time for a time warp journey. See the Lettermen from the 60's. In Concert - live, before me yet again.

WHAT! They had changed their hair, their clothes, even sang some new songs. They reflected the 70's and 80's and I was shocked. Long hair. Blue leisure suits with ruffled shirts and tied-in-a-bow neck wear. Platform shoes.



I'm glad I did not follow a hunch in 2000 and set out on a quest to see The Lettermen in concert. I would have been undone to see them OLD. Or not at all. Gradually, the Lettermen morphed into name only and attempt at same harmony. THREE OTHER GUYS held microphones and sang.





I did see the video of Lettermen: the Reunion.
They were not on walkers (hallelujah) and they sang Cherish/Precious and Few along with Going Out of My Head/Can't Take My Eyes Off You,
Put Your Head On My Shoulder, When I Fall in Love, etc.

While the closely knit blend, the signature harmony, was there, the thrill was gone!

My heart-throb, Jim Pike , co-founder of The Lettermen, died in 2018, at the age of 82. He had Parkinson's disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Feedback is appreciated: