Tuesday, May 12, 2020

A Basket Case

One of my hobbies when watching movies set in the 1930s and 1940s is observing the setting dynamics. Looking for relics in the background,,,watching for life-style tid-bits. Tons of vintage props and nostalgic screen doors with Coca-Cola push plates fascinated me in our Saturday night Netflix movie.
Vintage Market Basket

We watched Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson as former Texas Rangers with Kathy Bates as the Texas governor who disbanded the Texas Rangers. These two were called into service for their superior skills and bravado. Costner and Harrelson starred in The Highwaymen, the untold, true story of how Hamer and Gault brought down Bonnie and Clyde.

Of special interest to me was the scene with Costner and his wife in which she and he unloaded purchases from her car. She had been driven to the market. Everything was carried in a woven basket.
"Hey, I have one of those," I said.
pine straw and cone basket
Mother had a propensity for baskets and kept several from "vintage days," collecting a few more - such as a small basket made entirely of pine straw.

I have laundry baskets, both deep and shallow.
The shallow laundry baskets were the ones Thomas and I used as sleds. We'd sit down in the basket and get a push from the sibling, making our bumpy run down the stairs at 134 Harrison Street in Camden. We'd wreck but didn't say a word.

flower/garden basket
flower/garden basket
I have flower and garden baskets. One is in the story "Lost," the initial story in House on Harrison Street. It is the basket that carried the pruning tools and the garden scissors and rested on the back seat in my grandmother's Buick. I was encouraged to go with Mother and Nana to tend the Gordon cemetery plots at Old Greenwood Cemetery. That's where I got lost...but that's another story.

Other baskets are put away, but I'll always stop and think about their origin. I have learned that Freeman Gatewood made willow baskets at some time in his later years.

I'll treasure baskets, as did my mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Feedback is appreciated: