Saturday, December 5, 2015

No Time for Hibernation

     It would be easier to hibernate. You know, read the paper, drink morning coffee, go to the gym, come home, sweep up some caked dirt from someone’s boots, do a little laundry, test the thawing progress on next week’s main dishes, admire the Christmas trees, order some things through Amazon, follow through on a brainstorm or two, and ignore the invitation to the Christmas party.
             It’ll mean a holiday outfit, heels, and a smile. That might be a bridge too far.
            Then, I flip the switch for some music to elevate the attitude and David Foster’s orchestra plays “Carol of the Bells” a rendition that lifts my mood immediately. Before I can blink twice, John Williams “Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas” from the Home Alone soundtrack raises the roof. “Christmas Eve in Sarajavo,” the signature piece for the Trans-Siberian orchestra, rings through the rooms and I’m a new creature, ready for Saturday night and a Christmas Party, the first of the season.
          Getting ready for Christmas parties means dressing up, saying Merry Christmas, Y’all!, and seeing new friends in what have become familiar locations. My Scroogie Christmas fault is I long for Christmas Past. It can’t be. This is Christmas Present.
            I vow to enjoy every day of this Christmas season. I will wear my Christmas jewelry and jingle all the way. I’ll make Gordon Christmas Rocks and celebrate RockFest; I’ll also try a few new recipes. Christmas music will fill my house and I’ll laugh when Aubrey sings “Up on the Housetop” at full tilt. What a joy to share Christmas with a four-year-old angel.
            Soon the Christmas presents will start to accumulate in their secret hiding places and one day, I’ll conduct a Wrap Session, to the beat of “Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer.”
            I love Christmas and everything it represents. Christmas music at church reminds us the Manger is waiting. The advent candles are lighted as we anticipate the Christ Child’s birth. That blessed time is magically blended with Santa’s promise to Virginia and children of all ages.

It’s my favorite time of the year and I won’t spend it in hibernation.   

1 comment:

  1. I agree; sometimes it almost feels like too much trouble, but it's totally worth the effort once I get off square one. Great picture of you and honey.

    ReplyDelete

Your Feedback is appreciated: