Friday, December 11, 2015

Color Me Christmas

Christmas colors reduce anxiety. Red does not signal alarm; instead, Rudolph’s nose comes into focus. Golden yellow candles with evergreen holly adorn light posts throughout our small towns. Lighted angels and fabricated representations of the Holy Family add warmth to winter scenes. Neighborhoods brighten; downtown businesses sparkle. Royal purple candles are placed within Advent wreaths. Christmons in luxurious symbolism adorn ten-foot trees which add a regal appearance to churches in the area. Towns are awash in Christmas colors.
Color and Christmas go together like peas and carrots, Forest Gump would suggest. Coloring pages keep little ones entertained while adults breathe deeply to the count of ten. The eight crayons are all any child would use to give Santa a red suit and the elves a short green costume. Brown reindeer frolic on white snow and Frosty’s eyes are coal black.
Children find a way to graduate to the hefty box of 64 crayons, giving children 56 extra crayons to crush into carpet and jam into pencil sharpeners. Memory of coloring, especially coloring at Christmas, stirs smiles and invites reflection on a simpler, calmer time.

Perhaps that’s why Adult Coloring Books are the hot item for Christmas this year. Said to reduce stress and provide hours of pleasant memories, Crayola and other coloring companies are capitalizing on the adult who longs to return to childhood, even for a few moments.
In my case, I don’t think coloring would relieve stress. As a child, I was slow to develop fine motor skills and was intimidated by displayed art projects produced by classmates. They never colored outside the lines and their color combinations were delightfully pretty. They outlined first and shaded within the outline, to create a masterpiece worthy for the bulletin board. My rendition of a birthday cake showcased the entire cake in jet black with brown squiggles around the bottom edges. My parents thought I needed psychotherapy. When asked why my cake was colored black and brown, my answer was most logical: chocolate cake.

Lately, on the internet and in retail stores, I’ve been intrigued by books of black and white designs, ready to spring to life with color. Intricate designs, mandalas, kaleidoscope patterns provide opportunities for adults to create meditative art. I’ve looked at the patterns and while I’d enjoy coloring those pages, I feel sure I’d stress out; I’d see someone else’s design and think I should have colored mine like theirs. Old habits die hard.

This Christmas, do enjoy the brilliant colors, reflect on outward and inward beauty, and find ways to reduce stress. Perhaps the best way to accomplish that goal is by spending time with a child of any age; coloring pages are optional.

2 comments:

  1. Good post! I just hope I don't receive an adult coloring book for Christmas. With all the downsizing/ recycling/ etc. PLUS writing and reading, I think I'd go bonkers. The book might remain black-and-white--at least until I get bedfast, heaven forbid. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember coloring a donkey green in kindergarten because, for some reason, I didn't have a brown color and was too shy to ask to borrow one. The teacher commented on it in front of the class, which is why I still remember it. I bought an adult coloring book, and have colored a couple of pictures, but I don't really have time to color.

    ReplyDelete

Your Feedback is appreciated: