Thursday, December 4, 2014

The Grinch's Lesson

Last night I selected 5 Angels from the Angel Tree.  Written on each Angel were items to fulfill a child's Christmas Wish List. Nowhere on any of these lists were visions of sugar plums. No Peace on Earth, Goodwill to Men.

Instead, one Angel identified a "Ninja Turtle Bike."  Granted, that was all that was listed, but still...specifically a Ninja Turtle Bike. A young mother standing next to me wondered aloud if the child would be too disappointed in "any bike" since all the Ninja Turtle Bikes are sold out - even online. I did not choose to fulfill that wish.

My, oh my, how times have changed. The 5 Angels I chose had wish lists such as tops and pants for a 3T, nail polish for an 11 year old, some hair bows for a 6th grader and some art supplies.
One toddler boy wished for "fire-rescue" items.  A young girl wanted a "Frozen" DVD. What is a DVD doing in the Frozen Food department, I pondered!  (I know, I know.)

Today, I'm heading to the store to fulfill the wishes of some needy children in this area.  When the gifts are delivered to the parents, wrapping paper will be included so the Moms and Dads can "have a part in creating the wonderful morning" for these children.

I'm so taken aback by the expectation and must give great effort to keep my spirit one of generosity. God's commandment is that we Give, as He gave, without reservation, giving throughout the year, not just at Christmas time.

And so, it's off to the store so that my Christmas spirit can also know, "Christmas...indeed, means quite a bit more!"


And the Grinch, with his grinch-feet ice-cold in the snow,
Stood puzzling and puzzling: “How could it be so?”
“It came without ribbons! It came without tags!
“It came without packages, boxes or bags!”
And he puzzled three hours, till his puzzler was sore.
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn’t before!
“Maybe Christmas,” he thought, “doesn’t come from a store.
Maybe Christmas … perhaps … means a little bit more!”

1 comment:

  1. Some of us talked about asking the parents of a family of four children to suggest some reasonable gifts that we could actually afford. I suppose that little angel was dreaming of that Ninja Turtle bike with fingers and toes crossed, hoping. Would have been nice for a parent to have guided him a little. Five angels! You're generous.

    ReplyDelete

Your Feedback is appreciated: