Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Lots of Luck Coming My Way!

            Ever wonder why extra good fortune has not come your way in double handfuls. The explanation is simple, really: no black-eyed peas and no cabbage. In addition, Christmas decorations remain throughout your home and on your lawn and upon your house, laden with the dust and trappings of 2014. There’s still time to correct the ‘faux-pas.’
To ignore this good luck protocol is like defying the Southern Lady’s Handbook Rule regarding the wearing of white shoes after Labor Day.
           Since the cradle, I’ve eaten black-eyed peas on New Year’s Day.  Imagine what my life would have been like had I not eaten them! I shudder to think!
One December day, a friend asked me if I ate Cabbage for Cash on New Year’s Day.  Alas!  Alak!  I don’t even like cabbage, I told her. She explained with patience and understanding how to make nasty smelling cabbage morph into a delicious side dish.  It involves butter, onion, bacon, and a black iron skillet.  She furthered her comments to assure me that cash had not been withheld from me, but, “Imagine how the dollars would dash into your life if you would begin your year with cabbage!”

            Each New Year’s Day those seated at my table gobble black-eyed peas, cabbage, cornbread, and ham or pork chops.  My 2015 is destined to be lucky and rich!
           
        Furthering my good fortune is the removal of all Christmas decorations PRIOR to New Year’s Day.  Removing the glitter, sequins, Santas, and sheddings from 2014 leaves plenty of room for all new, good vibrations for the New Year.

       Preparations for welcoming New Year’s Day include beginning work on a humongous jigsaw puzzle.

       New Year’s Day traditions celebrate the future, new beginnings, and optimism!

1 comment:

  1. Uh-oh! All I'm having are black-eyed peas and cornbread--no cabbage. And I didn't have time to take down and put away my Christmas decorations before heading to my daughter's for a late Christmas. But that's often the case, so I guess I won't worry. Happy New Year! Cute post.

    ReplyDelete

Your Feedback is appreciated: