Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Training for Mt. Kilimanjaro

             The actual ascent to the peak begins on my first day of Cardiac Rehab. Note the Cardiac disclaimer because to say “I start Rehab on May 30” may give another impression altogether.
             Tuesday was my follow-up appointment with Dr. Garrett, the magic surgeon.
The nurses assured me that my mood-swings were “normal” and that all the little nuances of general discomfort, lack of stamina, shortness of breath upon exertion, and borderline insanity are perfectly normal at this juncture, considering the type surgery which was terrifically successful.

              Prior to the appointment, we had a soup and salad lunch with David at Olive Garden. I love that he is allowing his hair to grow out. In the sun it will have those incredible blond highlights that I have to pay for.
            After Dr Garrett released me to the cardiologist in Jonesboro, we went out to Renee’s new house in Arlington where the men in the family floored a portion of their attic.  Aubrey was in fine form and we girls played and talked while the men worked. A portion of their electricity was knocked out by the storms and torrential rain that came through Memphis.  By 7PM, we headed for home.  I wanted nothing but some food (even a McD’s fish sandwich) and my bed. I’d been up all day doing something even if it was walking and breathing and talking, with no nap.
              Today, I drove to the Post Office and the grocery store. At the PO, the postmaster and I visited a few minutes. It was great to get out and nice to drive, but by the time I got home, I took to the chair, feet up.  Weight-lifting (gallon of milk and rainbow sherbet) and endurance training (pushing grocery cart up and down 5 or 6 aisles) will wear a girl out.  I went to the store primarily for strawberries, which I bought, washed, capped, and prepared for dessert for tonight. Even my fingers are tired.

                Mt. Kilimanjaro looms large, but I think the daily training will speed my recovery time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Feedback is appreciated: