Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Candidate, 2012

     Robert Redford starred in the 1972 movie, The Candidate, a great movie wherein an unknown political newbie emerges to win an election over the corrupt establishment.  I remember being so taken with both Robert Redford and the movie that when The Senator was playing out at the Mall of Memphis, nothing would do but that we attend!  Yes, the showing was a late show, but that did not garner any special attention.  Yes, we were among about 50 people standing in line to get in.  Yes, I did get "carded."  I know I am a young looking chick, but really.  Even in New Orleans at Pete Fountains at age 17, I did not get carded.  Hmmmm.  This is most unusual, I thought.
    The Senator was an X or XXX rated movie that showed me far more flesh than I could take in.  The movie scenes on the deck of a yacht had me covering my eyes.  "We've got to go!" I said, begging to leave.  "It'll get better," he said.  "Yeah, but what do you mean by better, that's what I want to know!"
        Today, 40 years later, I am married to The Candidate, my version of Robert Redford.  Marvin has filed for Position 2 in the West Ward of the City of Rector for City Council.  Election Day:  November 6, 2012.  That's exciting.  Does this mean that I need a new wardrobe since I am the wife of the candidate?  Is this a call for Extreme Shopping? Marvin said he thought it important to immediately start kissing babies.
              I told him that was OK, as long as they were wearing diapers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Feedback is appreciated: