Friday, August 10, 2012

Hero, General, King of South Carolina

August.  School.  Meeting to drop retrieve children. Flood of memories.
     David and his girlfriend Colby kept Hershey for a few days while Marvin and I had some out of town business to attend to.  So, today, I drove to McDonald’s in Marion, AR, to pick up Hershey.  When she saw her Mommy, she was all moving legs and tail: wiggle-wiggle-wiggle to get to me!  That is a treat - to have my baby want to come back home with me, because when I retrieved my sons from visiting their Nana and Poppy, they did not want to get into my car. Back to reality was no fun, whatsoever.

     One such extreme memory involves Richard.  When he was in Camden, he was Hero, General, and King of the World.  Who would want to leave that kingdom to come back to Memphis to begin the school year in 3rd grade!  He was thrilled to see his Mommy, but when we started loading His Things into my car, he wanted to load My Things into Nana and Poppy’s car.  Why couldn’t Mommy just go with him and stay down there.  They don’t have school down in Camden!

     When we explained reality, it was not well received.  Richard tried to hide under the seats by scrunching as far down in the floorboard of the back seat as he could.  Then, he’d become a dead weight and I had to literally drag him out of their car.  I wanted so badly to crawl in there myself! As they drove away from the Dillard’s parking lot, both Richard and I were crying.

Now, Richard is Hero, General, and King of his own life and has moved to Charleston, SC, to finish up his schooling in Landscape/Turf Management, Tree Doctoring, and similar.  A great place to be with that field is South Carolina. There must be a million golf courses and a national tree company that has tons of business.  Plenty of opportunities for internships, etc. exist there.  Not to mention, it’s where Rhett Butler’s people are from and where Scarlett went to “get him back.”
Marvin and I did not get to Charleston when we were in Hilton Head in April, but it was an area we loved.  And, I think it’s a perfect fit for Richard.  His girlfriend Maurene is there, also.  And so is Lincoln, their hound dog puppy.

His schooling there starts August 20, and it’s what he wants, where he wants, and what he wants to do.  No one is pulling him out of the car to do anything else! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Feedback is appreciated: