Monday, June 17, 2013

The “E” Word: Exercise...YIKES!!!

...Rather like Maynard G Krebs and “Work!”
               Cardiac Rehab is turning the screws: walk 30 minutes a day; not hills and vales, and not in sweltering heat, but if not outside, then at the church gym.  I have a care-taker who has my recovery as his mission.  His long strides I cannot keep up with, even without having undergone heart surgery, but we can both walk 30 minutes a day. That’s our goal.  The real test is 2 flights of stairs.  Ya’ll can figure that one out.
                 Mental health – I just don’t know.  This week will be a test.  Tonight I am returning to the Arts Council meeting.  Thursday, I’m motoring to Jonesboro for a bit of shopping and Writers Ink meeting at ASU.  My usual desire to keep the roads hot has vanished; this past week I’ve read 2 Sandra Brown mysteries and used my Kindle Fire to test-drive Facebook, all from the comfort of my mama-bear chair, safely tucked away at home. Friday, we're going to Memphis for the weekend to stay with Renee' and family for Aubrey's 2nd birthday.  Of course, Marvin has projects lined up.
             Taste has changed and without the world screeching to a halt, I confess that I don’t want a Diet Coke.  Allow me to introduce Sprite Zero.  It’s my new drink of choice. This “Eureka!” soda contains bubbles and fizz, but Zero Calories and Zero Caffeine. Caffeine, you ask? My usual coffee in the AM and an occasional Lipton Green Tea with Mixed Berry.  I hardly know myself.
             My Fitness Pal  is coming in handy. I record everything (without cheating) and it can track my exercise and American Heart Association meal planning.  And, I added MapMyWalk App to my phone. I’ll be obnoxious before too much longer (if not already).

              Here’s a tidbit wrapped in love for everyone:  Never discount heredity where your health is concerned.  Though the myxoma was not hereditary nor did it result from any cause, the susceptibility to heart problems is rampant in my immediate family. Please, stay in tune with your body and don’t discount anything. Younger friends have been into fitness for their lifetime, but as my college friend Linda confessed,
"fixing our hair and perfecting our
makeup was our passion- not 5K and not crunches." Marlo Thomas and Sandra Dee were just too cute to sweat.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you are on the road to recovery. Hang in there! Wish I was going to Writer's Ink meeting!

    ReplyDelete

Your Feedback is appreciated: