Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Thread...Connections...Threads

             I use so many straight pins when I sew, pricking my fingers is inevitable.  Sleeping Beauty fell into a swoon when she pricked her finger…I just create new combinations of compound-curse words.
             During this particular creative period, sewing has taken a meaning far deeper than binding up wounds, more than creating something with fabric and thread.  Without a séance, without a Ouija Board or a Palm Reader, I have communicated with Mother. I have connected with thread, as in Woolco thread, Howard’s thread, and, of course, WalMart thread. 
             I open the tin in which are stacked and snuggled various vintage spools with thread in a kaleidoscope of colors. I’ve raided 3 sewing boxes for thread, notions, and ribbon.  A collection of trim, buttons, pins, and lace nestle in the top drawer of the chest in my guest room, Pam’s room, sewing room. Recently when I have needed a particular color thread, such as emerald green, lavender, lemon yellow, or magenta, it has been waiting for me.  I reach into the tin, the box, the drawer, and “voila’!” – as if by magic –exactly what I need is there.
                 Today, while holding a spool of never-before-used lemon yellow thread that Mother bought from Howard’s for 15 cents, I remembered when she laughed out a “hallelujah!” as I said, “I think I’d like a sewing machine for Christmas!” It was as if I had finally allowed her creative genes to take hold and she was there to see it happen.
                  My booth: Party Hostess, Tailgating Event, Grilling Guru Aprons; Garden Aprons, Couples Aprons….there are about 30 designs, each is one-of-a-kind.  My “business” will be called “Voila’!”- As If By Magic!

1 comment:

Your Feedback is appreciated: