Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Women's Right to Femininity

          I’d like to go on the record as saying I put cinnamon sugar on both sides of my French toast.  I prefer cookies with sparkles and cupcakes with flavored filling.  I want my cake and I’d like to eat it, too. My feet are firmly planted on both sides of the feminism fence. Being treated like a lovely piece of delicate china, seeing men rise from their places when I enter a room, having doors held for me, and my chair placed as I sit for a meal are all gentleman & lady traditions that I enjoy. I am also fond of voicing my opinion, voting my convictions, and seeing my name on the title for things I own.

The National Organization of Women whose membership seems comprised of make-up allergic Betty Friedan-types brought us the freedom to pump our own gas, but also gave us a Bill of Rights.  Nothing to be sneezed at, this Bill of Rights and the Equal Rights Amendment allow me to live in retirement with benefits from having worked during a time when women are paid equally with men for the same job. I took family leave at the arrival of both children. We are all indebted to Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B Anthony, but also to Phyllis Schlafly, the conservative activist championing the traditional family. Can’t we be feminine and feminists, too?
             The thought of brave women enjoying equal rights by donning camouflage and brandishing a military assault rifle on the front lines raises fear in me on many levels. Equal rights and equal responsibility is a concept that I endorse, however, which places me once more on both sides of the French toast.  Women should be protected from harm, abuse on every level, within our homes and throughout the world. When will we acknowledge that being an educated woman advocating for women’s rights does not necessitate a “roar.”

NEXT: Explore my new BLOG:  Charm is More than a Bracelet at www.morethanabracelet.blogspot.com
You'll read themed posts such as “…Miss Scarlet, she helped; but It Was Mostly Me!
             another post to be entitled, Indulge in Dazzle; Pack an Extra Suitcase

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Feedback is appreciated: