Tuesday, February 4, 2020

I am no artist but I enjoy Bible Journaling

     Big Tatee (Frances Gordon Usrey), a great aunt, entertained me as a toddler with stories and drawings. Sometime before the artwork was completed, Big Tatee would dissolve in gales of laughter. I joined in.
     At Lila Newcomb's kindergarten, I colored a birthday cake solid black, much to my mother's concern. She thought I must have a dark psyche since other cakes had been colored in pastels with flower decorations. I explained to her that the cake was chocolate.
     Grade school teachers and my Public School Art professor confirmed my lack of artistic ability. No one was surprised when I changed my elementary education major after one semester.
     Ability, the lack thereof, has not kept me from attempts at artistic endeavors. I can see the beautiful end result in my imagination, but I can not make my arm, hand, and fingers cooperate.

Thus, I have surprised myself with how much I've enjoyed the "bible journaling" time that adds to my appreciation and love for special Scriptures. 
    A note-taking bible allows me to elaborate on biblical understandings in the margins, add sermon notes, and with encouragement from young women in my bible study, I've added some artistic flair. I've made notes, added comments, and drawings to illuminate many of my favorite verses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Feedback is appreciated: