Sunday, May 29, 2016

Empty Arms

I saw my grandfather's WWI Draft Card and marveled. So many American soldiers died in the trenches of Europe.
My father served on Guam and survived during WWII, but so many he knew did not.
This day is set apart for them.
During the Vietnam era, multitudes of my generation died.
This day honors their memory.
Their names are etched on The Wall and in their families hearts.

Friends' children have served in the global war on terror in all its forms and the toll is far too high. They have buddies who have died in random disasters, some killed just as their vehicle moved down the road. My friend's child lived and his buddy in the same vehicle died. He'll never forget.Neither should we...ever.

Memorial Day honors and recognizes soldiers' supreme sacrifice. The family's sacrifice, too.It's the slain soldiers' day; while any day is a good day to remember them, today's the official day set aside just for this purpose..


Memorial Day, once called Decoration Day, memorializes those who, in wars since the Civil War, sacrificed their lives in service to their country.



Families heard the knock on the door, received the telegram, heard the sad message on the other end of the phone. They listened to a 21 gun salute and placed their empty arms around a folded American flag and a memory.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Jane. Today is in many ways a difficult day and at the same time a day I thank God I still have both my sons. Too many don't.
    Love your words--and you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for an appropriate post on this day of remembrance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each generation had its war and losses. When I returned to classes at Henderson after Will's funeral, one my professors told me he understood. He had lost a brother in WWII. May we remember them all. Good post.

    ReplyDelete

Your Feedback is appreciated: