Saturday, November 7, 2015

Way Back with Arkansas and Ole Miss

"I'm old enough to remember the Arkansas-Ole Miss games from the 1960's; in fact, I remember the 1960 game. No I was not there. I was hiding in my grandmother's bathroom, waiting for the final score, fingers in my ears because the radio volume was turned up full blast. No amount of wishing and hoping changed that result. Even Lance could not save the day and I'm sure I cried from disappointment and coming face to face with a flagrant violation of the rules of fairness.  

                         Ole Miss 10 – Arkansas 7
The 1960 contest between the teams was won by Ole Miss 10–7 at War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock, Arkansas, on their way to a final record of 10–0–1 for the 1960 season and the second of their three claimed national championships. Sometimes called the Tommy Bell game by Arkansas fans, he called a timeout in an attempt to quiet Razorback fans. Rebel Allen Green did not hear the whistle and kicked the ball through the uprights. After the timeout, fans swear Bell signaled that the kick was good as soon as Green connected with the ball. Fans also swear that the kick was no good. Fighting broke out all around the stadium and because of this, the annual series between the two schools was played the next year in Jackson and then canceled until the two teams renewed the series in 1981.

It seems no Arkansas-Ole Miss game is without some kind of down-to-the-wire heroics or villainous call by referees paid by scoundrels. Remembering seven overtimes with Matt Jones and a one point victory comes to mind in the arena of heroics.
Like the victory being savored tonight, this win is one Hog fans will be celebrating and Ole Miss fans lamenting for years to come. Our old family friend Billy Newton in Heaven called on many Razorback Saints, including my parents, to avoid a tragedy that almost befell the team when a throwback flip was caught and Alex Collins piled up more yardage during the overtime period.The RazorSaints in Heaven danced a jig and helped conclude the game. I'll say this, "It was a flagrant face-mask violation and Brandon Allen did go for two and make it!"
Hogs Win Again in Overtime

1 comment:

  1. I remember that game, too. I heard that official left town directly after game. Also heard Lance Alworth at a Baptist Church sweethearts dinner around that time. He was too cute! One of my classmates named her son Lance after him. Woo Pig Soooie!

    ReplyDelete

Your Feedback is appreciated: