Sunday, October 25, 2015

Glam It Up: Not For the Kitchen Anymore

            Do you currently own any of my one-of-a-kind, singularly designed hostess aprons?  Were you guilty of passing them by saying, “But I don’t cook anymore!”  The aprons are not designed for cooking, but for looking – and looking good while ordering take out or serving what was grilled by equally handsome hubby in his coordinating chef’s apron. Holiday Aprons add pizzaz to egg-nog and fruit cake. The Hostess Apron is not just for the kitchen, or so I hear.
Elizabeth Scokin, Blytheville, AR native and Nashville, TN resident, made Oprah’s list with her Haute Hostess Aprons. I first saw an article about her and her fancy stylings featured in the Commercial Appeal at least 10 years ago. In fact, I was so inspired by her designs that I tried my hand at something similar for a friend’s Christmas present. I designed and sewed for her an over-the-top, fancy-smancy, glitz and glamour University of Memphis Tigers Hostess Apron. It got rave reviews and requests for duplicates in Tennessee Orange and Razorback Red.
            Today’s ArkDem-Gaz reports that Scokin turned her aprons up a notch: “Think Giorgio Armani sleek ball gown…” The hostess apron described is shown under the heading Hostess Twinkle and comes in various colors with "silky bodies and deep flounces." Scokin stepped it beyond her original designs to Hostess Aprons 2.0, notes Helaine Williams in ArkDem-Gaz. The half-aprons have silky sashes, rhinestones and rickrack. 

           
     Her designs are handmade in Tennessee. Mine are handmade in a guest bedroom/princess bedroom/sewing room in Rector, Arkansas. My designs were featured at the Rector Crafts Fair for several seasons and sold for the bargain price of $20 or $25 (fully lined). Several still hang in the Community Center office and can be purchased as a donation to the Center. 

            I’ve filled several custom orders and get a great deal of pleasure from putting together the color and fabric combinations, adding just the right bling and glam for the customer's personality. The aprons are more expensive if I buy fabric and finishing trims for one design only…Just Saying  –Move over, Elizabeth!

2 comments:

  1. My family and Elizabeth's family are farmer friends from way way way back. I'm so proud of what Elizabeth has accomplished. I mean, Oprah! No, Haute Hostess aprons are not for slinging dough and sweeping floors. But boy, if you want to make a fashion statement while hosting an elegant affair, her aprons are mighty fine. I have one of her game day aprons with a camo ruffle and red gingham. It's more practical for tail-gating- LOL. Jane, your aprons have lots of personality. I can't sew, although I think I made an apron in Home Ec once upon a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your aprons. I wish you could see the little sheer aqua dotted swiss my mother-in-law must have worn 60 years ago. I know she had to be young because the waist is tiny! I often think I'd like to make aprons for my friends but I never seem to get beyond that thought. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete

Your Feedback is appreciated: