Saturday, September 19, 2015

Red Ribbon, Red Ribbon!

     When cheerleading became more than "Beat Magnolia's Team, Yamma-Yamma," when athleticism in the form on a cartwheel was required for try-outs, I retired my black and gold beanie and pom-poms. While I can talk a good game, I have reached the ultimate conclusion: I am not athletic. Not at all.  Not in the slightest.
      I can not ski, Not snow -not water. I can not run a marathon; I can barely roller skate.
      I can, however, walk. Not and chew gum at the same time, though.
      My first, ever-in-my-whole-life achievement ribbon came at the conclusion of the Helping Hands 5K in Rector over the Labor Day weekend. I won a red ribbon, second place in my age group, plus a personal best in time.
      I was so excited - still am.
      The corker, though, is that I slowed down my pace because my walking partner (hubby) was struggling and we had vowed to finish together.
      My goal for the 5K: I was not going to finish last, not going to let a woman with a baby carriage finish ahead of me. And not be beaten by a dog running along the side of the road.
      I had lengthened my stride and was moving right along. My super competitiveness had me actually contemplating walking off ahead of hubby, but I thought better of it. I mean how would it look for me to leave a husband in the dust while he was pushing through pain?
     We finished together, arms raised, hands clasped. A photo-op for sure!
       
When we picked up our ribbons the next week, (we did not think either of us received a ribbon at all), I got my beautiful red ribbon - suitable for a shadow box frame and portrait lighting. Thing is - he got a blue ribbon.
       Something about that is just not right!

2 comments:

  1. And WHY did he get the blue? Inquiring, jealous, feministic write wants to know. OR is that next blog post? Congratulations. To you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Doesn't seem right, for sure, but you are sweet wife. I'm not athletic either. I can water ski but have never attempted to snow ski. (My daughter's comment after her first trip was so true. "Mama, you'd be scared." She knew me well. My only athletic claim to fame was having the fastest time swimming in the endurance portion of a physical fitness we were required to do way back when Kennedy was president! You go, Girl!

    ReplyDelete

Your Feedback is appreciated: