Monday, January 5, 2015

Yellow Kitty and Me

My one and only cat was named "Yellow Kitty."
The story of Yellow Kitty is short, as was our friendship.
Claimed from the backyard during the years of our residence at The Big House in downtown Camden,  AR,
Yellow Kitty took my attention in stride, allowing me to dress her in doll clothes and put her to bed in a stool turned upside down to resemble a 4-poster bed.
In front of the black-tiled gas stove hearth in the living room, I set up housekeeping with YK.
The kitty drank from a tiny baby-doll bottle, wore a doll dress, and got carried around on my adventures for several weeks.
YK enjoyed the days outside, running through the flower beds and drinking from the hydrant's water basin out in the back yard.
She'd come to me with her little purring "mew" and I'd pick her up and carry her into the house.
The kitten began to grow into a cat and thus outgrew the baby-doll play time.
Yellow Kitty became Yellow Cat and while it lived in our yard, I do not recall any further adventures with her. Or any other cat.
We moved to a neighborhood when I was 9-10 years old and Scooter came into our lives.
No more cats.
Yellow or otherwise.
"Telling Your Own Stories: American Storytelling."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Feedback is appreciated: