Friday, November 7, 2014

House Blend

This week many accomplished writers inspired me. We gathered at Hemingway-Pfieffer Educational Center in Piggott, AR.  From Maryland to California, from Louisiana through the corners of Arkansas, we came together for a marvelous adventure with Dr. Pat Carr, our mentor. Not only did I have the pleasure of meeting these other writers, but I heard them read their initial workings for books they plan to publish. Only 2-3% of writers ever make a living doing what they love, but the creative process is beyond measure.

In fact, a new book came to mind listening to Pat explain various strategies for writing point of view. I've learned much lately about the Gordon-Ritchie family and I've discovered things I never knew.  It's very difficult to know a person's story from a set of dates and random newspaper reprints.

I can write this story from a the point of view of each of the women:  Jane Elizabeth Tooke Gordon (Thomas Bullock Gordon), Jane McBride Campbell Ritchie (John Calhoun Ritchie),

Ella Jane Ritchie Gordon (Charles Thomas Gordon).

 I have learned much through research and remember stories Mother told about these women and their children. The mentor, Pat Carr, encouraged me to start.

                                                          Ella Jane Ritchie:  Age 14

1 comment:

Your Feedback is appreciated: