Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Final Four is Over; Bring on The Masters

I know just enough about golf to be dangerous. Same is true about tennis, snow skiing, water skiing, croquet, cheerleading, and horseshoes. Family and friends know I’m not athletic at all, but have always thought, “Hey, I can do that.”  Not.
Any story I might share ends in tears or disaster or both. Sometimes the tears came from hysterical laughter, as I tried to get off the slopes after a fall. I was forced to roll to the side because I could not stand without falling again, tears freezing on my cheek. I’m a danger to myself and others. On my next skiing attempt, I flunked out on the bunny slope.
When trying to learn golf, I began at Putt-Putt and on that course I’m pretty good, until those challenging obstacles appear. Take the maximum on each hole and enjoy the party.
Recognizing my interest in golf and ability on the putting green, Daddy took me out for some golf lessons. On one drive, the ball lifted from the ground enough to clear blades of grass and we celebrated the accomplishment with cheers, fist pumps and a modified Can-Can routine. Soon I realized that club selection complicated matters, as did the heat, and the lack of a golf cart.
At this time of year, though, I look forward to The Master’s Tournament held at Augusta National Golf Course. Daddy's good buddy, John G Phillips of New Orleans, LA, is a member at Augusta National. He is well-connected as retired CEO at Louisiana Land and Exploration. Daddy was able to spend a January weekend at Augusta National with Bud and two other gentlemen. They stayed in one of the cottages, dined in the clubhouse, and played the Master’s course.  Each year thereafter, I watched Sunday segments of the event on TV, called Daddy and talked to him about his memory of that hole and his trip of a lifetime.

My fascination with the course is its beauty: the pines, azaleas, ponds, manicured fairways, groomed greens with the pin’s yellow flag, plus that iconic bridge. I also love the forever memory of Daddy’s thrill at having played “The Masters” at Augusta National.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Feedback is appreciated: