Saturday, February 8, 2014

MEET THE BEATLES!

           Scrapbooks: the reason for treasures such as Panther football ribbons, tassels from my Pantherette boots, and kindergarten pictures. And the first-ever, my one-and-only Beatles album: Meet the Beatles!
            Fifty years ago tomorrow night, Sunday night, Ed Sullivan introduced us “Live!” to those 4 heart throbs.  Well, one heartthrob:  Paul.  I sat on the edge of the sofa (not right in front of the TV as I would have preferred), leaning forward to see, hear, and burn the spectacular vision into my brain.  It worked.
           
 My parents smiled and shook their heads in dismay…long hair, bug-band name, and “you call that music?” Oh, Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! My girlfriends and I were sophomores at Camden High School.  We rode in a carpool every day to and from school, and the landmark event of the night before was all we discussed that next morning.  We giggled and swooned at the memory of Paul singing and moving to the beat of “She Loves You!” Those eyes!

            Now, after 50 years, and with all the hoop-la surrounding Sunday’s anniversary tribute, on this cold and snowy February day, I am warmed by the memory of The Beatles and me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Feedback is appreciated: