Saturday, December 29, 2012

Blessed and Grateful: Retirement Reflection

              I had no concept of retirement except what I watched in the lives of others. I knew that it was time to embrace something different. My heart was pulling me further away from work routines. Routines comfort the psyche, but sameness that dulls must be dealt with.  A jolt of different usually works.
                For six weeks after Retirement Day, I slept.  It seems that when I sat down, I’d take a nap: hour-long sleeps, or more. I could not get rested.  And then, I was rested, revived.  Walks, fresh air, sunshine and peace can do a body more good than milk.
                 No one seemed concerned about me in retirement, but they thought Marvin would go nuts. Neither of us is any nuttier than we were previous to vacating the workplace.  Marvin and I have found that we stay occupied, and act more by what seems right to do than what we “ought” or “should” do. His projects are enormous, in my estimation.  The house is a man-sized adventure – inside and out, so his “self” stays stoked. His energy also channels into city enterprises, community outreach endeavors, and total immersion, as this is his Hometown.  Our families need our expertise from time to time, and we love having the ability to step in when we can do the most good. We have taken some cool trips and have more in mind.  Watch for us if you live “out West.”
                 My involvement reflects my interests, energy, and abilities:  Clay County Arts Council, Rector Community Center, Hemingway-Pfeiffer Writer’s Retreat, Writers Ink, some of Marvin’s endeavors (I’m secretary and side-kick) plus the church choir.  My calendar is as full as I want it, plus I read the paper and sip my coffee, starting my day in leisure. I’ve found several shopping Meccas and totally love my Amazon Prime experiences. Using my laptop for social interaction, shopping, writing, and exploring beats PowerSchool black and blue! 
                I am not “driven.”  I have nothing to prove and am not charged with righting wrongs or saving the world.  I can’t do that anyway, but always felt that I should try.  What an enormous responsibility lifted.
While there are friendly acquaintances here in Retirement Rector and surrounding area, friends of the caliber and strength I have in Memphis will not ever be matched.  We’ve lived our life with friends from “the past” and have roots deeper than time. These friends stick. Friendly folks here are enjoyable, but there is not time on earth or depth of experiences required for growing true friendships.  It’s fun to be sociable, but I am not looking to build abiding friendships such as those I have with cherished life-long friends.

Retirement:  It’s a next step.  It is a different avenue, a new path, and I thrive on a “little bit new and different.”  I am blessed that I have health, life, and ability to enjoy this new adventure.  I am grateful to God that my life has meandered down a winding path to this point. Twists and turns, segues and sojourns led me, and it is marvelous, beyond what I ever imagined. God has done this same thing with me forever.  He gave me my children, He gave me my health and life, He grew in me a gentler heart, and opened my understanding of the world to embrace what He gives, not what I plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Feedback is appreciated: