Friday, July 27, 2012

Country Living: By the Side of the Road

CT Gordon/ Horne Home 1932
     The side of the road carries a fascination to me.  Richard was embarrassed, but he and I dragged home a blue “pleather” Queen Anne chair to provide extra seating for the Cordova den. It had a short shelf-life. A Peabody hotel key fob and other treasures are apt to be unearthed by adventuresome trash-pickers.  Though not a dumpster diver, I have found excitement in digging for buried treasure. As a disclaimer:  treasure does not include road-kill. One of our favorite programs is “American Pickers” on the History Channel.      
      Another treat often found on the side of the road is the Roadside Fruit and Vegetable Stand.  Growing up in south Arkansas, I experienced the delicious beauty of fresh fruit and fresh vegetables that my mother, my grandmother and her sisters brought home.  We often drove to the “meeting place” outside El Dorado, AR, on the road to Ruston, LA, to exchange produce between Camden and Ruston.  We often brought muscadine jelly and plum preserves, made in my grandmother’s kitchen at The Big House. These muscadines were picked from vines on the old Gordon homeplace in the Mt. Holly area of Union County.  Mamie (our long-time family cook), Mother, and Nana would make the jellies and preserves and put the delicious concoction into Ball jars, add paraffin to the top for sealing, then add the lids so they would form a seal to keep all the goodness in.
1932 Dec. Newspaper protects radiator.
I did not help, but would watch in fascination. After the day-long kitchen adventure, they’d store the multitude of jars in the cool room under the back staircase.  Some of the jars would be placed into a handled long basket for “Sookie.” We’d also take tomatoes and some beans and peas. Depending on the season, we might share some pecans that fell from a multitude of trees on the CT Gordon home site, the CG Horne Home location where I lived until 4th grade. 
Dec. 1955 Trip to Florida Sookie and Nana
      At the meeting place, Sookie would unload Ruston Peaches from the trunk of her car.  She’d usually have other goodies, cakes, etc. that her cook had made and even some Shipley’s donuts that were incredibly delicious when warmed up. I looked forward to these road trips.  We got to see Jack, Dot, and Sookie (my great aunt Susie Gordon Ritchie). This was also the place we’d meet if Mib (Nana) was going to spend a week with her sister in Ruston, or vice-versa.  These sisters were the best of friends.
     To continue the tradition, I always have my eyes open for good roadside fruit and vegetables.  One such place is Brinkley, Arkansas, behind the Exxon and the McDonald’s.  Going to or coming from Camden, I always stopped at Brinkley.  They have wonderful peaches, cantaloupe, tomatoes, and new potatoes.
      When my route to south Arkansas changed and I-40 was no longer heavily traveled, I had to find another place to get peaches and other fresh fruit and vegetables.  Living here in Rector, that quest is not a problem.  Here’s the scoop:  Campbell, MO for peaches.  Local farms and gardens have roadside stands for tomatoes (Warren Tomatoes!!) and cantaloupes.  Outside of town is a large garden to get green, yellow, and red peppers, tomatoes, and sweet corn. Our yard has 3 cherry trees but the apple tree is not doing well.  The grape arbor has lots of grapes, but I did not get into grape picking this summer. During the fall, Marvin’s mother’s yard is the site for gathering pecans. Nothing like fresh!  Nothing like “side of the road” or your own back yard.
 Marvin and I have sliced tomatoes with supper at least 4 times a week.  We love stuffed green peppers and pork chops smothered with colorful peppers and tomatoes make a delicious entree.   Peaches are the main fruit July – August in a large bowl of fruit salad (strawberries, bananas, grapes, and peaches).  We enjoy the fruit salad for dessert or served on cereal or oatmeal for breakfast. The fruit is also a great side for Mother’s Pound Cake. Don’t forget peach cobbler (all my men love this dessert) and homemade peach ice cream.
          I did not realize how significant are my fruit and vegetable experiences, such that they form memories that celebrate my family.  With every purchase at the side of the road, and with every meal I prepare with fresh produce, I salute Mother, Nana, and Sookie, and of course, Mamie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Feedback is appreciated: