Saturday, June 23, 2012

Oreo - Milk's favorite cookie: "The finest of suppers, I think"

Some questions beg to be answered.  Questions such as, “If a man speaks in the woods and there is no one there to hear him, is he still wrong?” 
Questions that still surface among children and adults include, “If a white cow gives white milk, does a brown cow give chocolate milk?” Well, Duh!
Now, living in a rural farm community, I have some crazy experiences that just bring more questions which beg for answers. “If a white cow gives white milk, and a brown cow gives chocolate milk, what does an ‘OREO COW’ give?  Give me a break!

 While this question also begs “what is an Oreo cow, and have you ever seen one,” I will go ahead and answer thusly: an Oreo Cow gives both milk and cookies. 

I saw my first Oreo Cow on June 20, in a pasture on Hwy 90, just outside Rector.  Marvin pointed her out to me, as I would have missed the rarity, that was grazing peacefully with a few other heifers.  These cows, called “bandies” by cowboys and cowgirls, are rare and according to what I have read, they are raised for slaughter, providing meat for very tasty steaks and hamburgers. Not for me, not from an Oreo Cow! I am reminded of a poem from Childcraft days: milk and an oreo cookie will substitute for “the finest of suppers, I think.”          
 “Animal crackers and cocoa to drink make the finest of suppers, I think.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Feedback is appreciated: