Sunday, May 6, 2012

Magnolia Maurauders & Derby Moon


You have to make your own parties and your own fun!  I will do that at every opportunity because it's just who I am. (Friends will recall Water Heater Decorating Party, Kitty Arrival Shower, and Princess Jennifer Wedding Shower.)  Pam and I planned a Kentucky Derby Festival with food, beverage, and decorations. I had 2 horses in the Derby:  Bodemeister and Gemologist.  I guess that goes to show you that I don't pick 'em that well, but I do put together a super Derby Party, complete with hats.  Pam and I had earlier been Magnolia Maurauders in a vacant lot boasting a stately magnolia tree covered with fragrant blossoms.  I also prepared Sweet Tea with Southern Mint served in my Southern Sippin' Tea Goblets (Mason Jars on a Stem!) that Kelly Arwood gave me.  We had Barbeque and Derby Brownies to round out the festivites. 
Finishing up the supper dishes was just in time for beginning the Watch Party for the Super Moon, reminiscent of "Moonstruck."   ("Snap out of it!" and "I'm so confused" are two of my favorite lines from Cher and Nicolas Cage's movie.)  We watched the news and were on the deck at 10:34PM to watch the moon, sun, and earth line up for the moon's closest journey to the earth's surface.  We stayed out long enough to see the halo of sunshine behind it.
The day was culminated by 3 other events:  the pool opened for business, John Wayne Gatewood killed a big, black rat snake in our neighbor's garage, and I sighted the first hummer-scout checking out my 3 feeders!  It was a super day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Feedback is appreciated: